Say hello to the best creamy Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce made without cashews or other nuts! It’s actually boasting with nutrition as it’s packed with secret veggies and fiber for a healthy, indulgent dip, sauce, or cheese spread.
Oh my heavens! If you’ve been looking for a dairy-free nacho cheese sauce, you’ve landed in the right spot! I am so excited to share this nut-free vegan nacho cheese sauce with you today. It’s so easy to make, it’s creamy, it’s thick, it has that smokey nacho cheese flavor and only requires 9 ingredients! There’s some sneaky carrots in there, and my favorite sneaky ingredient… butter beans!
The other ingredients include nutritional yeast, garlic, tapioca starch, salt, apple cider vinegar, and plant milk! The color is magnificent from the carrots- the real nacho cheese vibe without turmeric or added artificial coloring. The beans allow this cheese dip to contain fiber and a little bit of protein.
My other secret ingredient to give it that smokey nacho cheese flavor (and also deepen the color) is a pinch of smoked paprika! I used flax milk in this nacho cheese sauce, but you can also use oat milk, coconut milk, or other plant milk- just keep in mind if you use almond or cashew milk it’s no longer nut-free.
Enjoy this Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce with chips, fresh veggies, steamed veggies like broccoli, tossed with pasta for some delicious Mac n’ cheese, on baked potatoes, scalloped potatoes, enchiladas, gluten-free soft pretzels… I mean, so many uses for this magic cheesy goodness!
- 1/2 cup carrot peels
- 1/2 cup butter beans (or other neutral flavored white bean)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or other light, neutral olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch (flour)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plant milk (such as oat, almond, cashew, flax, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- pinch smoked paprika
- Place the carrot peels and drained beans into a microwave safe dish and cover with water. Microwave for 2 minutes. Let the carrots and beans sit in the hot water while you prepare the rest.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute the garlic until it starts to turn golden. Whisk in the tapioca starch until it absorbs all the oil, then add the nutritional yeast and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Next, add the plant milk and whisk until the mixture is relatively smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender along with the drained carrot peels and beans, apple cider vinegar, and paprika. Blend on high until very smooth and creamy.