These Vegan Gluten-Free Savory Pancakes are a 100% plant-based breakfast that is a perfect savory swap for sweet pancakes! They are made with quinoa flour, plant milk, nutritional yeast, black salt, spices, and filled with sautéed mushrooms, onion, kale, vegan cheese and fresh tomatoes for a nutritiously filling, protein-packed start to the day!
Sponsored by Calphalon
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of the Calphalon. The opinions and text are all mine. The product(s) used in this recipe was sent to me as a gift, thank you so much!
Today I’m going to share with you my go-to, protein-packed, fully vegan and gluten-free SAVORY pancakes that will satisfy your craving for a hearty, fulfilling breakfast. These pancakes are like a mix between a crepe, an omelette and regular pancakes.
You may have seen recipes for savory pancakes using chickpea flour, and while chickpea (garbanzo beans) are highly nutritious, I find myself to be a bit turned off by the taste of the flour version of this powerhouse legume. So in my version I’m using quinoa flour instead! Still loaded with plant-based protein and fiber and has a bit more of a mild taste.
Aside from choosing the right ingredients and the correct amounts to make these Vegan Gluten-Free Savory Pancakes a success, it’s of utmost importance to have great cookware. And that’s where my favorite Calphalon cookware comes in! Today I’m using their brand new Calphalon® Classic Nonstick Cookware featuring Water-based AquaShield™ Nonstick technology to keep the easy-release surface performing like new 40% longer for smooth, enjoyable cooking!
In this recipe I used their Select by Calphalon® Hard-Anodized Nonstick 8-Inch Fry Pan. I decided to put the new and improved Premier Nonstick Cookware Coatings to the test by creating a recipe that requires the delicacy and release the new nonstick coating provides. I’m happy to report that the thin pancakes cooked perfectly without any heavy oils and without sticking to the bottom of the pan for effortless release and the perfect pancake fold to hold the savory mushroom, onion, kale, and tomato filling.
The Pancake Ingredients
Now that I’ve expressed how important it is to have great cookware to make these vegan gluten-free savory pancakes, let’s take a closer look at the ingredients.
☆ Quinoa flour. If you can’t find quinoa flour you can substitute with chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour. I also like to use quinoa flour because it’s a plant-based source of all 9 essential amino acids.
☆ Plant milk (I used rice milk but you can use oat, almond, cashew, etc.)
☆ Nutritional yeast for a boost of B12 vitamin, complete amino acid proteins, and adds a cheesy flavor.
☆ Black salt. You can find black salt online, I got mine on Amazon, but what’s so great about black salt in vegan cooking, especially vegan egg dishes, is black salt has a slight eggy taste and smell. It’s really great in these savory pancakes, but if you can’t find it or just prefer to use regular salt that’s perfectly ok too.
☆ Flax egg. I used just one flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of water) to give these pancakes a nice bindability and a boost of added fiber!
☆ Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, pepper.
☆ Mushrooms, onion, kale, vegan cheese, tomato.
☆ Hollandaise Sauce. Optional, but totally yummy drizzled over these savory pancakes! My recipe is easy to make, vegan, diary-free, and gluten-free of course!
It really is a simple process, just like making sweet pancakes, you combine all of the batter ingredients. In this recipe you’ll actually start by blending all of the ingredients together in a blender, I used my Calphalon ActiveSense Blender of course, until smooth and well combined.
Sauté the mushrooms, kale, and onion in the skillet over medium heat, until everything has cooked down and softened. Scoop the veggie mixture into a bowl and set aside.
Next, you pour the batter into the same preheated Calphalon® Classic Nonstick Cookware, no need to spray or oil it first, and add 3 tablespoons of batter and then spread the batter around with the back of the tablespoon to cover the pan in a thin, even layer.
Cook for 4-5 minutes, until the top looks mostly dry. When the bottom of the pancake is slightly golden brown, it’s ready to be filled and folded! You don’t need to flip and cook the pancakes on both sides due to the pancakes being relatively thin! This helps save on time too! 😉
Add the vegan cheese to half of the pancake.
Add the mushroom mixture.
And finally the freshly sliced tomatoes.
Then gently fold the other side over top of the fillings.
Let it cook for just another couple of minutes to melt the cheese and then transfer the pancake to a plate. Top with fresh microgreens and Vegan Hollandaise Sauce (optional) and enjoy!
Head over to Calphalon.com to purchase the Calphalon® Classic Nonstick Cookware!
I hope you love this healthy, gluten-free, vegan savory breakfast! Let me know what you think down below in the comments section, as well as giving it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating so that others can discover this savory pancake recipe! Tag me on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest!
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 cup quinoa flour (may substitute with chickpea/garbanzo bean flour instead)
- 1 ¼ cup plant milk
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon black salt (or regular salt)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1-2 cups mushrooms
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1/2 onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup vegan cheese, shredded
- Make the flax egg first. Combine the flaxseed meal with water and let it sit for a few minutes to "gel up"
- Blend all of the pancake ingredients together in a blender until smooth and well combined. Heat the 8” fry pan from your Calphalon® Classic Nonstick Cookware collection over medium heat and sauté the mushrooms, kale, and onion in the skillet until everything has cooked down and softened. Scoop the veggie mixture into a bowl and set aside. Next, you pour the batter into the same preheated Calphalon® Classic Nonstick Cookware, no need to spray or oil it first, and add 3 tablespoons of batter and then spread the batter around with the back of the tablespoon to cover the pan in a thin, even layer. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until the top looks mostly dry. When the bottom of the pancake is slightly golden brown, it's ready to be filled and folded! You don't need to flip and cook the pancakes on both sides!
- Add the vegan cheese to half of the pancake. Add the mushroom, kale, onion mixture, and finally the freshly sliced tomatoes. Then gently fold the other side over top of the fillings. Let it cook for just another couple of minutes to melt the cheese and then transfer the pancake to a plate. Top with fresh microgreens and Vegan Hollandaise Sauce (optional) and enjoy!
*Recipe developed for Calphalon