Skip the fuss and the oven with this mini Chocolate Mug Cake recipe! It’s gluten-free, vegan, egg-free, grain-free, plant-based, oil-free, refined sugar-free, nut-free! It’s moist, and delicious and perfect for serving one or two people.
Reasons why mug cakes should be your best friend this summer:
1- It’s way too hot to turn on the oven.
2- These mug cakes are legit ready in less than 5 minutes, I mean, we’re talking like 2 minutes here. Because you want chocolate cake and you want it now! Haha.
3- Like me, you ain’t got time for a kitchen fail, so foolproof mug cake is where it’s at!
Small batch desserts have been gaining popularity over the last few months, I suppose we have Covid to thank for that. It is kinda nice making small batch desserts, because then I know I can limit myself lol. Yup, I’m the one who goes back for seconds, so why give myself the temptation?!
Also, gluten-free vegan bakery doesn’t last much more than a couple of days before it dries out anyway, so it’s nice to not have to throw half a cake away or force yourself to eat it all. So making chocolate cake one mug at a time seems a lot more reasonable for when you’re craving it hard.
This Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake is so rich and fudgey, you’d never know it’s so allergy friendly! And I’m also keeping the glycemic index down by using banana flour, coconut sugar, and unsweetened cocoa powder. But don’t let that scare you, it will most certainly satisfy your sweet tooth.
If you’re new to mug cake, it’s literally just that- cake in a mug. You combine the dry ingredients in a mug with your fork, then gently stir in the wet ingredients, microwave for 45-55 seconds and boom, chocolate cake is ready! Top with easy no-churn homemade vanilla ice cream for the perfect satisfy-your-chocolate-cake-craving dessert!
I thought that a simple, quick-craving-satisfying recipe deserved a permanent spot on the blog, so I hope you enjoy it too! Curious to hear your thoughts so be sure to leave a comment below and I’d also love a tag on Instagram or Facebook @HealthyLittleVittles #healthylittlevittles if you make it! I usually say well wishes and so many hugs mugs my friends! Keepin’ it simple in 2020 my friends 😉
- 2 tablespoons organic green banana flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons nut/seed butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract/paste
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream
- Dark chocolate chips for garnishing, if desired
- VEGAN NO-CHURN VANILLA ICE CREAM
- 1 can coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla paste
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- If you choose to make the homemade vanilla ice cream, do so the day before. In a blender, combine all ice cream ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour into ice cube trays and freeze overnight.
- The next day, add the cubes to the blender and blend with a little bit of water until creamy like ice cream. Place in the freezer until you're ready to use.
Chocolate Mug Cake
- For the cake, add the dry ingredients to a mug and stir gently with a fork to combine.
- Add the nut/seed butter, vanilla, coconut cream and gently stir until a batter forms.
- Microwave for 45-55 seconds, garnish with chocolate chips and a scoop of ice cream and enjoy!
**NOTE: if the mug cake is too dry you can try adding a splash of plant-milk before enjoying