Fluffy gluten-free, vegan pancakes made with vanilla protein powder, gluten-free flour and flaxseed meal ready in just 20 minutes for a fantastic, healthy breakfast.
The mood struck on a Tuesday. Pancakes. Coincidence #pancaketuesday ? It has been quite a while since I added a pancake recipe on the Healthy Little Vittles Blog, so I thought, what a perfect, easy recipe to add to my recipe collection, especially because breakfast is always a bit more challenging for us gluten-free, vegan eaters.
Which btw, all you non-gluten-free, vegan eaters will love these fluffy Vanilla Protein Flax Pancakes too!
Everything was a bit crazy that morning. My children were both screaming, my son was throwing his toys at my table setup (while trying to photograph), my daugher was ramming her Mickey Mouse car into my table, my dogs were knocking into my tripod… but I was determined to get this stack photographed because I knew this would be a killer pancake recipe to share with y’all.
I love a good pancake recipe, but I’ve struggled in the past with vegan pancakes being blah- flat flapjacks aren’t really my thang. When I finally had a breakthrough with my HOLIDAY NOG PROTEIN PANCAKES it was a pancakebration because from now on all I had to do was use that recipe as a base and modify it based on what kind of pancakes I wanted to make. This Vanilla Protein Flax Pancake recipe is basic but certainly not boring, and will now be my go-to base recipe.
I love sneaking protein powder into my pancake batter for an added boost, and perhaps it adds to the fluffiness too. I’ve also been trying to include more flaxseed in my diet, as it’s a great source of fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, and natural estrogens. You may have used flax “eggs” in your cooking, also perhaps attributing to the fluffiness.
I’m literally drooling just thinking about these pancakes… we may be doing a brinner over here tonight (breakfast for dinner) because, well for 1- they are that good, 2- they are that simple and 3- they are that healthy. I hope you love these healthy Vanilla Protein Flax Pancakes as much as I do, and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram and Facebook if you make them!
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp gluten-free, plant-based vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal
- pinch salt
- 1.5 cup oat milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients
- Melt your coconut oil
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture, lightly stir the batter (DON'T OVER MIX!)
- Let the batter rest for a about 5 minutes while you warm up your skillet
- Heat your skillet/electric griddle to 300 degrees (medium heat)
- ** I like to use an electric griddle so I can make my pancakes all at the same time and they are pretty cheap, I recommend investing in one 🙂
- Spray your griddle/cast iron/skillet with non-stick spray (I use coconut oil spray)
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, place batter on your griddle/ in your skillet and cook over medium-low heat until you start to see bubbles form on the top
- Once the bubbles form, and the underside starts to turn golden, flip and cook for an additional couple of minutes. If they are browning too quickly turn down the heat
- ** don't flatten the pancakes with your spatula
- Serve with plant-based butter and pure maple syrup
** best enjoyed right away but you may store them in your fridge to reheat and eat the next day