Up your sandwich game with this scrumptious green veggie goodness! Made with gluten-free bread of your choice, layered with vegan cream “cheese”, kale pesto, avocado, lettuce, sprouts, cucumber, and tomato, you won’t even miss the meat and you’ll feel great eating it!
When I found out that I have Celiac Disease, I thought my whole bread lovin’, pizza party throwin’, pasta slurpin’ days were over. I mean, is there really anything else out there to eat?! Haha, obviously I have found the holy grail of food and am actually so thankful for my diagnosis, because it has forced me to explore this whole world of food I may not have otherwise, but that doesn’t mean there weren’t rough times that I had to go through to get to where I am today. And you guys, gluten-free has come such a LOOONNGG way from even five years ago. The bread alone has made leaps & bounds. And thank heavens for that! So quit loafin’ around and get yo sammich on!
I am so grateful for companies like Canyon Bakehouse and O’Doughs! They are making all my sandwich (and toast) dreams come true! And I never thought I would say that I love me a loaded veggie sandy, but I now have a whole set of new sandwich goals. The Leaning Tower of Sammich (the first one) is slightly different than the second, but both are very similar and I thought I would give you the recipe for both! I happened to have some leftover kale pesto from my Kale + Crispy Chickpea + Caramelized Red Onion Pizza on Sweet Potato Crust recipe, so I slathered the remaining pesto on my sandwich to use it up and it was delish! I have included the recipe for the pesto so you can try it! 🙂
» bread (in the first version I used O’Doughs Everything Bagel, in the second I used Canyon Bakehouse homestyle bread)
» kale pesto (recipe follows)
» Kite Hill chive cream “cheese” style spread (I’m seriously obsessed with this almond milk based spread! It’s great on crackers too!)
So whatda say? Give it a go and I’ll bet you add this to your weekday lunch menu!
- sandwich/bagel bread, (I used Canyon Gluten-Free Bread and O'Dough's Gluten-Free Everything Bagel)
- Kite Hill chive cream "cheese" style spread
- sprouts, (I used broccoli + onion sprouts)
- kale pesto, (recipe below)
- 2 cup kale leaves, (torn from stem)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup raw walnuts
- salt + pepper, to taste
- If you're making the kale pesto, which I recommend, go ahead and blend all ingredients in your blender/food processor until smooth. Store leftover pesto in a glass container in the fridge
- Assemble your sandwich by spreading the kale pesto and the cream "cheese" on both slices of your bread/bagel
- Wash your veggies, then thinly slice your avocado, tomato and cucumber (and turnip if using)
- Layer all the veggies and sprouts and enjoy!
** NOTE: You could also smash the avocado