When I found out that I have Celiac Disease, I thought my whole bread lovin’, pizza party throwin’, pasta slurpin’ days were over. I mean, is there really anything else out there to eat?! Haha, obviously I have found the holy grail of food and am actually so thankful for my diagnosis, because it has forced me to explore this whole world of food I may not have otherwise, but that doesn’t mean there weren’t rough times that I had to go through to get to where I am today. And you guys, gluten-free has come such a LOOONNGG way from even five years ago. The bread alone has made leaps & bounds. And thank heavens for that! So quit loafin’ around and get yo sammich on!
I am so grateful for companies like Canyon Bakehouse and O’Doughs! They are making all my sandwich (and toast) dreams come true! And I never thought I would say that I love me a loaded veggie sandy, but I now have a whole set of new sandwich goals. The Leaning Tower of Sammich (the first one) is slightly different than the second, but both are very similar and I thought I would give you the recipe for both! I happened to have some leftover kale pesto from my Kale + Crispy Chickpea + Caramelized Red Onion Pizza on Sweet Potato Crust recipe, so I slathered the remaining pesto on my sandwich to use it up and it was delish! I have included the recipe for the pesto so you can try it! 🙂
» bread (in the first version I used O’Doughs Everything Bagel, in the second I used Canyon Bakehouse homestyle bread)
» kale pesto (recipe follows)
» Kite Hill chive cream “cheese” style spread (I’m seriously obsessed with this almond milk based spread! It’s great on crackers too!)
So whatda say? Give it a go and I’ll bet you add this to your weekday lunch menu!
- sandwich/bagel bread, (I used Canyon Gluten-Free Bread and O'Dough's Gluten-Free Everything Bagel)
- Kite Hill chive cream "cheese" style spread
- sprouts, (I used broccoli + onion sprouts)
- kale pesto, (recipe below)
- 2 cup kale leaves, (torn from stem)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup raw walnuts
- salt + pepper, to taste
- If you're making the kale pesto, which I recommend, go ahead and blend all ingredients in your blender/food processor until smooth. Store leftover pesto in a glass container in the fridge
- Assemble your sandwich by spreading the kale pesto and the cream "cheese" on both slices of your bread/bagel
- Wash your veggies, then thinly slice your avocado, tomato and cucumber (and turnip if using)
- Layer all the veggies and sprouts and enjoy!
** NOTE: You could also smash the avocado