A creamy vegan twist on a traditional favorite. This Slow Cooker Broccoli “Cheese” Soup is so easy to make and packs so much flavor even the non-vegan broccoli cheese soup lovers will enjoy a warming bowl!
Y’all… I’m on a kick, a slow cooker kick- and I’m loving it! I do the prep in the morning, let it cook all day and then sit down and eat when we want (or can!). It’s perfect. It’s so perfect I’ve decided to add a slow cooker recipe category to my blog and hope to add lots of new recipes there this fall and winter.
I never thought I would see the day where vegan could taste so cheesy. Like seriously. The truth is, I LOVE cheese. But I don’t eat cheese and haven’t for years because me and cheese don’t jive… so when I create foods that are cheesy, and taste like the real deal I get very happy. I thought my taste buds were deceiving me at first, but the leftovers proved to be just as cheesy as when I first had this Broccoli “Cheese” Soup.
Oh no...This form doesn't exist. Head back to the manage forms page and select a different form.
Have y’all ever been to TGI Fridays? From what I remember, they have the best broccoli cheese soup. It was so think and creamy and just mmmmm. This soup immediately reminded me of that soup. Now, what in the world makes this so cheesy without actually adding cheese?! So it’s kind of a thing that vegans have figured out… don’t ask me how, but to whoever did, I love you! Vegan cheese is usually a mix of nutritional yeast, cashews, almond milk, and garlic! There are variations, but this is what makes up the base of this soup.
Now, I also have a secret ingredient to make this Broccoli “Cheese” Soup extra hardy and thick…. potato! It was kind of an impulsive decision to add it, I figured potato is almost good in anything, so let’s go for it! Well played mister potato, well played. I have to say, this is probably one of my recipes I am most excited to share with you AND I cannot wait to make it again. . If you try it and love it (especially if you’re not vegan!) don’t forget to tag me and leave a comment below! So without furter ado I present to you (Vegan) Slow Cooker Broccoli “Cheese” Soup…
- 1 russet potato, (peeled and diced)
- 3 stalks celery
- 1/2 large onion, (diced)
- 3 large carrots, (peeled and diced)
- 16 oz broccoli florets, (fresh + cut into small-medium pieces)
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- "cheese" soup base, (below)
- fresh parsley, (for garnishing)
"Cheese" Soup Base
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheddar/cheddar jack cheese, (I used So Delicious Cheddar Jack)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2-3 tbsp of olive oil
- Dice and peel your potato, then add it to the skillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover and sautee for about 10-15 minutes until they are soft, stirring often
- While those are cooking, make your cheese soup base by blending all ingredients together in your high-speed blender until very smooth
- **NOTE: if you don't have a high-speed blender, soak your cashews overnight or boil them for 15 minutes
- Turn on your slow cooker to low heat and set for 4 hours. Add your vegetable broth, cheese mixture and water to the slow cooker
- Dice your onion, carrots, broccoli and celery
- Move your potatoes into the slow cooker (keeping the stove burner hot), then return to the burner and add 2 more tbsp of olive oil and your minced garlic
- Add your onion, carrots, broccoli and celery to the skillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Sautee for about 10-15 minutes until the onion begins to turn translucent
- Sprinkle your veggies with the flour and stir until the flour is "absorbed"
- Add the sauteed veggies to the slow cooker and stir to combine all the ingredients
- Add half of the shredded cheese (1/2 cup), 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper to the slow cooker, stir and let the soup cook on low for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally
- A few minutes before serving, add the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese
- Garnish with fresh parsley
** Recipe adapted from 40 Aprons
**NOTE: if you don't have a high speed blender, soak your cashews overnight or boil them for 15 minutes
** If you'll be at work when the soup will be done, feel free to have your slow cooker switch to the keep warm mode (if available)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
** Recipe adapted from 40 Aprons