A rich and creamy take on pumpkin carbonara pasta with shiitake bacon made in just 30 minutes! Gluten-free and vegan friendly.
I don’t know about you, but I have sure been enjoying pumpkin everything, and mostly sweet pumpkin everything. Today I welcome you to a savory pumpkin recipe that’s easy to make, delicious (as always), and filled with that star squash we all swoon over once fall hits… pumpkin!
Ok, so let me ask you this… Do you love pasta? Do you love a simple 30-minute meal? Do you love mushrooms? And do you love pumpkin, but not the overbearing kind, like the subtle pumpkin flavor? If you answered yes, then you are certainly going to love this recipe.
The pumpkin carbonara sauce is rich and creamy, and oh so satisfying. This dish is surprisingly filling too. Now let’s not let mister pumpkin steal all the glory in this recipe. Let’s talk about the shiitake “bacon”, because I know y’all are intrigued. I was intrigued when I heard of shiitake bacon for the first time a few months ago and was just dying to try it!
They’re smokey, and flavorful, and although I wouldn’t say tastes 100% like bacon, they make a great addition to this Pumpkin Carbonara dish. I love the texture and the spunk they bring to this recipe and would highly recommend adding them.
Top your pasta with vegan parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley and you have yourself one heck of a fancy-shmancy meal (without all that fancy work). So go get your pumpkin pasta on…
- 12 oz gluten-free pasta (fettuccini style)
- 3 tbsp olive oil/vegan butter
- 4 tbsp tapioca starch/flour
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup coconut cream , (solid part of a can of coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup unsweetened oat milk
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- salt + pepper to taste
- 5 oz shiitake "bacon", (below)
- vegan parmesan cheese, (optional)
- fresh sage , (diced)
- pumpkin seeds, (for garnishing)
- 5 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- splash liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/8 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk together all of your shiitake bacon ingredients and toss your shiitake mushrooms in the marinade to coat well **NOTE: if you have time, you can marinade your mushrooms 30 minutes before hand or even overnight to add extra flavor!
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread your mushrooms out in a single layer and bake for 20 minutes then broil for 5 minutes at the end (make sure you keep an eye on them so they don't burn!). In the meantime, make your carbonara sauce and boil your pasta.
- In a large skillet, heat your olive oil and garlic over medium heat and let it cook until the garlic begins to turn golden.
- Whisk in your arrowroot (soak up all the oil), then add the oat milk and coconut cream. Whisk to combine and bring the mixture to a low boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Whisk in the wine, nutritional yeast, pumpkin, salt & pepper and let the sauce simmer for a bit, whisking occasionally.
- Boil your noodles according to package directions.
- While your noodles are cooking, blend your carbonara sauce to ensure that it's completely smooth and well combined, then add back to the skillet.
- Drain your noodles, then add to the carbonara sauce, stirring to coat well. Let the pasta "soak" up the sauce for about 5 minutes over low heat.
- Add your shiitake bacon to the skillet or top each bowl with them, then garnish with vegan parmesan cheese, sage, and pumpkin seeds.
**NOTE: Shiitake Bacon recipe is adapted from Olives for Dinner