Well I don’t know about you, but this cold, nasty weather is really starting to make me go crazy. I’m longing to sit outside, go for walks, do summery things and it seems she is nowhere to be found! I don’t know why this winter has seemed to drag on more than others. So… I’m trying to make the best of it, and this moon milk certainly helps!
What the heck is moon milk? That’s what I asked myself when I started seeing it everywhere! It seems like I’m never up on the current trend, and almost always missing out!
Besides being absolutely gorgeous, moon milk is an ancient tradition in Ayurveda, natural healing practices, to help with sleeplessness. Ever hear of drinking warm milk before bed to help you sleep? It stems from this ancient remedy, but people are giving this ancient moon milk a hip new twist by adding colorful superfoods and fragrant spices. So not only are we helping the occasional sleeplessness, but we’re amping it up with natural spices to help boost our immune system. In other words- it rocks.
Oh no...This form doesn't exist. Head back to the manage forms page and select a different form.
So I wanted in. I wanted to see what all this moon milk hype was about. So I made some! And like I always say, everything is better pink, so I decided to add pink pitaya (dragon fruit) powder and dried rose petals to mine, along with some cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. Let’s just say I’m totally on the moon milk train.
This was also my first time making my own almond milk! I’ve been wanting to try it for a while now, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to do so. You guys, it’s delicious! If you haven’t tried it, you totally need to, like yesterday. It’s pretty simple actually- I think you’d be surprised! I wish it made sense for me to make all my almond milk at home, but we just drink way too much of it, so this will be a nice treat for things like moon milk (which I think will keep creeping in on my weekly menu), maybe some overnight oats and just as a treat! I am sure I will be coming up with more recipes to use it in because it’s simply delicious! Anyway, I am just over the moon about this recipe, so let’s just get to it, shall we?
[WooZoneProducts asin=”B00HNTPEWU,B001XWRGS8,B00JQODONG,B00I5TGXGI,B008K9H62S,B00I7V5HCU”][/WooZoneProducts][WooZoneProducts asin=”B00HJCYALC”][/WooZoneProducts]
- 2 cups almond milk, (to make your own, see recipe below)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pitaya powder/dragon fruit powder
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch cardamom
- rose petals, (optional for serving)
Homemade Almond Milk
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 6 cups water , (preferably filtered/purified)
- 6 dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 cups filtered/purified water
- If you're making your own almond milk, soak your almonds overnight in the 6 cups of water (I soak mine in the fridge). If not, you can use store bought almond milk and get right to it, but I would recommend trying to make your own! 🙂 Proceed to directions below.
- **NOTE: If making your own almond milk, you will need to purchase a nut milk bag. I bought mine from Ellie's Best (www.elliesbest.com). USE CODE littlevittles for 10% of your order!
- In a small saucepan, heat 2 cups of almond milk on medium-high heat until it starts to turn frothy. Whisk in your other ingredients until dissolved. Garnish with dried rose petals if desired and serve!
Homemade Almond Milk
- Soak 2 cups of almonds in 6 cups of purified/filtered water overnight (I keep mine in the fridge)
- Drain and rinse your almonds, then place them in a blender with dates, vanilla, salt, and 8 cups of water. Blend on high until the mixture is finely blended (about a minute)
- Position your nut milk bag over a large bowl or pitcher and pour the nut milk puree into the bag
- Twist and knead the bag gently, allowing for the filtered milk to collect until the pulp is dry
- Refrigerate and serve chilled, or use in this moon milk recipe!
**NOTE: If making your own almond milk, you will need to purchase a nut milk bag. I bought mine from Ellie's Best (www.elliesbest.com). USE CODE littlevittles for 10% of your order!