Eat pretty with these delicious, gluten-free, vegan Pink Dragon Fruit Chocolate Chip Waffles! They have the perfect flour blend to make them crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. No eggs needed to make these waffles fluffy! The perfect breakfast for the whole family ready in just 30 minutes!
So Valentine’s Day is right around the corner- and typically I am not a huge fan of the mushy gushy holiday- probably because I was the girl in high school who always hoped for a candy gram and never got one #highschoolhell (not really… but you know what I mean…) But you know what? I decided to appreciate V-Day for its celebration of LOVE, because it seems there is far too little of that in this world today. So, why yes, I will partake in the tradition. I am really adoring what it stands for- and not to mention, I get to create an abundance of pink recipes guys! Not that I need an excuse to do that really. I ordered pink dragonfruit powder for the first time and was so excited to try it out in this easy peasy waffle recipe. And what’s Valentine’s Day without chocolate?! With only 10 ingredients, these waffles are sweet + scrumptious + easy + pink!
I recently discovered dragon fruit- it’s probably the most gorgeous fruit I’ve ever seen. It’s relatively tasteless, but packs a punch when it comes to nutritional value. Some fun facts about dragon fruit:
- it blooms from a cactus tree!
- the pink-fleshed dragon fruit is indigenous to Costa Rica while the white-fleshed cousin is native to Mexico
- dragon fruit is loaded with antioxidants, fiber, vitamin C and B
- it’s also called a “strawberry pear”
- it’s referred to as “belle of the night” because it blossoms under moonlight and relies on nocturnal pollinators!
- It fruits 5-6 times annually
So interesting, isn’t it?! I’m totally smitten with this magical superfood!
Have you also seen my Raspberry Champagne Waffles recipe?! Another great option for Valentine’s Day. They are both delicious! Make these for your sweetheart, mom, children, friend, or neighbor- and don’t forget to put extra love in them! And heck- go wild and make them for dinner! Dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with maple syrup- the choice is yours! You can’t have waffles for dinner… said nobody, ever!
Dragon fruit fun facts shared from Wilderness Poets (back of packaging).
- 2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour, (I used Bob's Redmill 1:1 Gluten Free Baking Flour)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup almond meal/flour
- 1.5 tbsp arrowroot flour/starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp sugar/maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance butter (melted)
- 1/4-1/2 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- 1-2 tsp dragonfruit powder
- dragon fruit
- chocolate chips
- fresh berries
- powdered sugar
- maple syrup
- Heat your waffle iron
- In a medium-large bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients together, then add the wet and mix until well combined (save the chocolate chips for the very last step).
- **NOTE: I add the butter in last so that it doesn't harden back up
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips
- **NOTE: Save some for garnishing if desired
- Spray your waffle iron with coconut oil (or other non-stick spray)
- Depending on which waffle iron you have, add 1/4 cup of batter to each waffle well and bake until golden on the outside
- Serve garnished with fresh berries, chocolate chips, dragon fruit, sprinkled powdered sugar or maple syrup