This 8-ingredient, refined sugar-free Naturally Sweetened Instant Pot Apple Butter is made in just 20-minutes using your Instant Pot pressure cooker (with the option to use your slow cooker if you don’t have an Instant Pot). No peeling necessary!
You guys… I got an Instant Pot! FINALLY. I was a little intimidated to use it at first, but like holy wow, I’ve been working wayyy too hard in the kitchen LOL. The first thing I made in my Instant Pot was chili, and like a silly sally I used it on slow cooker mode, mostly because I was scared to go full pressure cooker mode. But today, I dove right to make this Naturally Sweetened Instant Pot Apple Butter in just 20 minutes! #mindblown. ANNNNNDDD you guys, no peeling of the apple required!
Ok, and side note: how cute is that wooden crate/box/carrier thingy that my hubby made for me?! Kinda perfect for this photoshoot 🙂
I’ve never made apple butter in my life, but I have had it. I always found it to be so delish but like, woah… way too sweet for me. I could only ever have a little bit at one time before I just got that like yucky sugar high feeling. I mean, apples are sweet enough as it is, I don’t really see the need to dump in loads of added sugar. So after going to the apple orchard this weekend, I decided that I was going to try my hand at making my own at home, keeping it naturally sweetened by the apples themselves and only 1/3 cup of added coconut sugar.
So there’s a total of 8 ingredients in this Naturally Sweetened Instant Pot Apple Butter recipe. That’s it! Eight ingredients, 20-minutes cook time, blend in your blender and then chill overnight. And if you don’t mind a bit of a chunkier apple butter, you can skip the blending part.
Now, if you’ve read this far, don’t be discouraged if you don’t have an Instant Pot. You can also make this in your slow cooker, or even stovetop! You’ll just have to let it slow cook for about 6 hours as opposed to 20 minutes. But the end result is still the same: pure deliciousness! And hey, Christmas is coming up so be extra nice and maybe Santa will bring you an Instant Pot 😉
I have a fun recipe planned to use this homemade apple butter, but in the meantime, I’m enjoying this spread on my toast in the morning, maybe even on my afternoon crackers too!
So grab your masks (blah), get out to your local orchard, get you some sweet apples and make this Naturally Sweetened Instant Pot Apple Butter! Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Facebook @HealthyLittleVittles #healthylittlevittles if you make it and let’s rave about how easy this recipe is! And keep your eyes (un)peeled for more like it 😉
- 12 cups (about 14 medium apples)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- pinch salt
- Wash and slice your apples (no need to peel them!) and place them into your Instant Pot.
- Add all of the other ingredients to the Instant Pot and pressure cook/use manual mode for 20 minutes.
- When it's done cooking, pressure release and carefully remove the lid.
- Stir the apple butter to combine all the ingredients.
- Transfer the apple butter to a blender and blend until smooth. You may also use an immersion blender if you have one.
**NOTE: if you don't mind chunkier apple butter you can skip this step!
- Pour into jars and let it cool for a couple of hours on your counter, then cover and refrigerate overnight.* Keep it stored in your fridge.
You can also use your slow cooker and just slow cook this for about 6 hours if you don't have an Instant Pot.
* If you plan to freeze some, be sure to leave a little room at the top of the glass jar and don't place into the freezer until completely cool.