Up your grilled cheese game with this Kale and Baby Portabella Grilled Cheese with Bourbon Pear Jam! This classy grilled cheese sandwich takes vegan provolone or mozzarella cheese, sauteed kale and baby portabella mushrooms and homemade bourbon pear jam and stuffs it all between two sliced of grilled gluten-free bread for an easy, any day of the week lunch or dinner!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Nature’s Greens. The opinions and text are all mine. The product mentioned in this post was sent to me as a gift to use in this recipe, thank you so much!
Y’all, I’ve never met a grilled cheese I didn’t like. I think that saying goes for cookies, but I’m totally stealing it for grilled cheese. Such a simple meal to make, yet still holds so much popularity.
This Kale + Baby Portabella Grilled “Cheese” with Bourbon Pear Jam is not your average college grilled cheese. It’s like the king of all grilled cheeses- I mean, we’re talking high class here, people.
And why yes, it is possible to enjoy grilled cheese gluten-free and vegan, in fact- I think I remember thinking with each bite, “dang this tastes like the real deal!” And while there is nothing wrong with keeping it simple ol’ grilled cheese, with just 3 additional ingredients, I’m taking grilled cheese from good to heavenly!!! So we’ve got:
☆ gluten-free bread
☆ vegan cheese
☆ Nature’s Greens Kale
☆ baby portabella mushrooms
☆ homemade bourbon pear jam
All hail to kale! I pretty much live on the stuff, so naturally I would find a way to shove it in between two slices of gluten-free, melty-cheese-covered, gluten-free sourdough bread. Pair it with sautéed baby portabella mushrooms and we have a winner dinner. Taking it to next level, though, is the bourbon pear jam.
Let me first say, bourbon… yuck. But Burbon pear jam… YUM! I was first introduced to bourbon pear jam at Bareburger and fell in love! So I sought out to make my own, cue fist pump, major success! It’s wayyy easy, and if alcohol isn’t your thang, the bourbonless pear jam would still taste amazing on this sandy.
*note: although distilled bourbon is considered gluten-free, try to find a bourbon that is made from corn
I’m sure y’all are aware that kale is one of the most nutritious foods on the planet. It’s loaded with vitamin A, C, and K. Most of us know that vitamin C is great for boosting our immune system, but what I get most excited about is kale’s high vitamin K, which is a potent anti-inflammatory (great for autoimmune issues).
I love Nature’s Greens for many of my go-too greens. They are dedicated to providing fresh, wholesome vegetables from their family farm since 1925! Their kale greens come triple washed and pre-cut so that minimizes my time in the kitchen.
Walter P. Rawl and Sons, Inc., (Nature’s Greens) products also do not contain any genetically modified raw materials, additives, or processing aids. Hallelujah!
So head on over to NATURE’S GREENS to find in a store near you and get yo Kale + Baby Portabella Grilled “Cheese” with Bourbon Pear Jam on! As always I love to see your re-creations of my recipes so be sure to tag me on Instagram or Facebook!
If you like this grilled cheese recipe, be sure to check out my PEA PESTO GRILLED CHEESE
Kale + Baby Portabella Grilled "Cheese"
- 6 slices gluten-free bread, (I used sourdough)
- vegan butter
- 6-9 slices vegan cheese, (I used vegan provolone, but you can also use vegan mozzarella)
- 4 cups chopped kale, (Nature's Greens)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz baby portabella mushrooms
- bourbon pear jam
Bourbon Pear Jam
- 2 pears, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Bourbon
- 3 tbsp maple syurp
- 1 tsp tapioca flour/starch
- pinch salt
- First, make your bourbon pear jam. Start by heating a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add your peeled and diced pear and all other ingredients and stir. Bring to a low boil and then turn down to low. Simmer for about 15 more minutes. Smash the pears with a fork occasionally
- While the jam is simmering, saute your mushrooms and kale in olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, tossing frequently until the leaves are wilted and slightly browned and the mushrooms are soft
- Next, heat an electric skillet (or you can use stove top- whatever you use to make grilled cheese, just make sure it's non-stick) over medium heat
- Butter 1 side of the bread then place onto the skillet, butter side down. Place cheese slices on the bread
- When underside is golden brown, about 4 minutes, take the slices with the cheese and pop in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds to help the cheese get extra melty, then place back onto the skillet
- At this point, add your kale and mushroom mixture on top of the cheese
- Spread some pear jam on the unbuttered side of the remaining slices of bread, then place them on the other half of sandwiches with jam side down on top of the cheese and flip the sandwiches right away to grill the other side. Serve immediately
- Save any leftover kale and mushrooms for another meal (pasta!)
** Bourbon Pear Jam inspired by Bareburger