A creamy ricotta cheese alternative to use in your favorite recipes, enjoy with some crackers or on top of toast! This Homemade Vegan Ricotta Cheese recipe is made with only 6 ingredients- blanched almonds, nutritional yeast, coconut milk, salt, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar and is also gluten-free!
Cheese. Friends, the truth is… I.Love.Cheese. When navigating into the vegan lifestyle, cheese was probably the hardest thing for me to let go of. More than bread, more than eggs, more than pizza (without the cheese), because the cheese on pizza is the best part, amiright?! I would never buy it and keep it in the house because all self-control goes out the window when cheese is involved. My favorite dessert… a tie between cheesecake and cannolis- which also involves cheese. When I’m grocery shopping I avoid the deli section at all costs so I’m not tempted, and thank goodness the vegan cheeses are kept in their own little section (usually). Can you see my obsession here?
Speaking of store-bought vegan cheese, it has come a long way, hasn’t it?! Unfortunately, cheese is just one of those food items that is going to be near impossible to taste like the real deal. Kinda like eggs. A lot of it is about perspective. If you change your mindset and fill your mind with gratitude to have these close-enough options I think you’ll find yourself enjoying them more.
But anyway, there are some really great options out there now. some really clean (minimal ingredient) vegan cheeses that definitely help in a pinch or when the craving hits, but there seems to be a lack of vegan ricotta cheeses out there even still.
Luckily it’s really quite simple to make vegan ricotta-esque cheese at home! All you need are a few simple ingredients, 6 ingredients exactly in this recipe of Homemade Vegan Ricotta Cheese. Then you’ll need a high-speed blender/food processor, paper towels, and a kitchen towel. That’s it!
I like to make my vegan ricotta cheese a day in advance to let it set up a bit in the fridge, but you can certainly enjoy it right away.
I’ve made other vegan ricotta cheese recipes in the past and they were decent, but I really think this recipe is by far my favorite! It’s so creamy and sets up so nicely with the use of coconut milk (solid cream part only). The texture is darn near perfect, and it makes a perfect ricotta replacement in all your favorite eats. You can even serve it on your next charcuterie board as a cheese dip!
- 2.5 cups blanched almonds
- 2.5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 can coconut milk (solid part only)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- You will want to soak your almonds overnight, or alternatively you can boil them for 15 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the almonds then add to a high-speed blender/food processor.
- Add the other ingredients to the blender also, making sure to only spoon the solid cream part of the coconut milk into the blender.
- Blend on high until it's very smooth and creamy with no almond chunks left. Stop and scrape down the sides as needed.
- You can enjoy the ricotta now, but I recommend you follow the next steps and let it set up overnight.
- Lay out a kitchen towel and then add a few large pieces of paper towel over top of the kitchen towel.
- Spoon the ricotta cheese onto a few large pieces of paper towel, then wrap it all up and let it set up in the fridge overnight. Alternatively, you can use cheesecloth if you have it.
- Enjoy in your favorite recipes, on toast, or with crackers! Keep stored in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.