If you’ve never been much of a chai lover, I think these Grain-Free Chai Cupcakes will definitely change your mind. They have a subtle chai flavor infused in the gluten-free, grain-free, vegan cupcake and iced with a dairy-free chai buttercream frosting that every dessert lover will enjoy!
I’ve never been much of a chai spice lover. I know, I know. But these cupcakes changed my mind completely. They are perfectly spiced with chai and then topped with a subtle chai frosting. If you’re already a chai lover, then you’re really going to love these Grain-Free Chai Cupcakes!
When I was creating my dessert book, I of course had to include a cupcake recipe in there. Who doesn’t love cupcakes?! Until the book I was really disappointed with how my cupcakes turned out. Cupcakes are supposed to be light and airy… not dense like a lot of gluten-free bakery. Well my friends, all the recipe testing paid off because these Grain-Free Chai Cupcakes are sooooo soft and delicious I bet you’ll be grabbing for more!
Just look at that pillowy soft inside! I use a special grain-free flour blend: almond flour, coconut flour, and cassava flour. Then I combine that flour mixture with a vegan “buttermilk” made with plant milk and apple cider vinegar. When you combine these two ingredients and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes it curdles just like buttermilk. I use flax milk as I find it produces the best results, but oat, almond, or cashew milk could work too.
Because I’m using powdered sugar in the frosting, I keep the cupcakes themselves naturally sweetened with maple syrup to help keep the refined sugar content down. I mean, we’re having a cupcake here- so we should allow ourselves to indulge just a bit, no? 😉 They are so easy to make, the key is to let them cool completely before frosting- but other than that this is one easy gluten-free, grain-free, vegan dessert that I think everyone will love!
If you’re looking for other grain-free cupcakes, be sure to check out my Grain-Free Vanilla Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting in my dessert book The Beginner’s Guide to Gluten-Free Baking, out now! And also my Grain-Free Vanilla Cupcakes with Blackberry Frosting! Be sure leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram or Facebook!
- ⅔ + ½ cup plant milk (ex. oat, almond, cashew- I used flax milk)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ½ cup cassava flour**
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons chai spice
- ½ cup vegan/plant butter
- ½ cup vegan/plant shortening
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon chai spice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- In a glass bowl or measuring cup whisk together the plant milk, apple cider vinegar, vanilla, maple syrup, and avocado oil and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, stir together the cassava flour, almond flour, coconut flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and chai spice, then add wet ingredients and stir just enough to form a batter. Line a cupcake pan and then fill each liner just below the top. Bake 15 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- To make the chai frosting cream together the butter, shortening, vanilla, and chai spice with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy then add the powdered sugar in little bits at a time. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag and frost the cupcakes.
**Bob’s Red Mill, Otto’s, or Let’s Do Organic cassava flour works best. Not all cassava flours are equal!