This Golden Delicious Cinnamon Applesauce uses the mildly sweet and light golden delicious apples, cinnamon, and maple syrup to give this homemade applesauce the most delicious flavor! It’s gluten-free, vegan, and naturally sweened to keep this applesauce recipe refined sugar free!
If you’re like me, you’re wondering what the heck to do with all of those apples you picked at the farm. I never thought I would have such a basic recipe on the Healthy Little Vittles blog, but when I developed this recipe for Stemilt, I just knew I had to give it a permanent spot on the blog because it’s THAT delicious… no matter how basic it is.
I’m so glad I went with golden delicious apples for this applesauce recipe. They are light, crisp and- not too sweet which lends itself to make one delicious applesauce! Now I know you might be thinking, “well then why add maple syrup and not use a sweeter apple?” Well, I thought about that- but the maple syrup gives this applesauce a robust, mapley flavor and paired with the cinnamon is stellar!
Aside from peeling and chopping the apples, this Golden Delicious Cinnamon Applesauce recipe pretty much makes itself. You place the apple chunks into a pot with water, lemon juice, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt and then let the applesauce simmer until the apple breaks down forms itself into the most (golden) delicious applesauce.
You can blend it if you like really smooth applesauce, but I used a potato masher to get just the right amount of chunky applesauce texture vs. smooth. This recipe didn’t last long at my house, so next time I make it (and it will be very soon) I am going to double the recipe. Don’t forget to watch the video for this Golden Delicious Cinnamon Applesauce too.
If you still have more apples to use up, check out my recipe for Naturally Sweetened Instant Pot Apple Butter too!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Facebook @HealthyLittleVittles #healthylittlevittles if you make this homemade applesauce and let’s rave about how easy this recipe is! And keep your eyes (un)peeled for more like it 😉
- 6 medium golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, chopped into smaller chunks
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup maple syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Place the peeled, cored, quartered and chopped apples in a large pot. Add 1/2 cup of water, lemon juice, maple syrup (if using), cinnamon, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once simmering, cover and reduce the heat to low. Maintain a low simmer for 30 minutes or until the apples are completely soft and cooked through and the liquid is absorbed.
- Once fully cooked, remove from heat. Mash the apples directly in the pot using a potato masher for chunky applesauce. For smooth applesauce, add the apples to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth or use a hand-held immersion blender and blend directly in the pot.
*I used Stemilt Fruit Golden Delicious Apples in this recipe