These Creamy Dirty Mashed Potatoes are ready in just 30 minutes and make the perfect side dish to any meal! Yukon gold potatoes, coconut cream, vegan parmesan cheese, garlic salt, pepper. That’s it!
You may call it lazy, but I call it dirty and I’m so here for it. Leaving the skins on your mashed potatoes isn’t anything new, I know, and maybe it is partly being lazy but there are other reasons why keeping the skins on your mashed potatoes are hip.
You may have heard a rumor that eating the skins of potatoes provides many health benefits, and I’m here to tell you that’s the truth! When you leave the skins on your potatoes prior to mashing you offer yourself added fiber, B vitamins, magnesium, phosphorus, other vitamins and minerals and the flavonoid called quercetin. Quercetin is a type of phytonutrient that exhibits anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects that help your body fight against disease and infection. If that doesn’t inspire you to get dirty… 😉
No peeling + added nutrients = a no brainer to me, and now that I’ve easily convinced you to keep the skins on your yukon gold potatoes also, let’s talk about how easily these Creamy Dirty Mashed Potatoes come together! You simply wash, chop, boil, add the other 4 ingredients, blend, garnish, serve. They make a perfect side for your holiday dinners, or any night of the week really. With Easter coming, I thought you might enjoy this recipe.
I am not sure why it has taken me so long to get a classic side dish recipe on the blog, shame on me- I’ve been keeping these all to myself! Mashed potatoes seem to be a go-to for their comfort factor, and the fact they are pretty much the definition of side perfection! And when something this good comes together in just 30 minutes, it quickly becomes a go-to pick for my family. I like to enjoy these Creamy Dirty Mashed Potatoes at Thanksgiving and Easter dinner, but also any day of the week, like with my Swedish Meatballs!
- 48 ounces (3 lb, 1.36 kg) yukon gold potatoes, washed
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (solid cream part only)
- 1/3 cup vegan parmesan cheese (homemade preferrable)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- pinch pepper
- fresh parsley
- plant butter
- Wash and chop your potatoes into medium pieces, then place in a large stockpot.
- Fill the pot with water, enough to cover the potatoes, and boil your potatoes for about 20 minutes, until fork tender.
- If you don't have any of my homemade vegan parmesan cheese on hand, make that now.
- Turn your burner heat down to low. Drain your potatoes then add back into the pot along with the coconut cream, vegan parmesan cheese, garlic salt, and pepper.
- With the pot on the burner, beat the potatoes with a hand beater until you achieve your desired mashed potato texture.
**NOTE: I like to keep some potato chunks in my mashed potatoes, but feel free to make them really smooth and creamy- add a little more coconut milk if needed. Also, the potatoes can become "gluey" if beaten too much, so feel free to mash by hand with a potato masher too!
- Spoon onto plates, garnish with fresh parsley and microgreens and plant butter if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.