Well I’ve never really had a cookie I didn’t like, but then there are just some cookies that are showstoppers… like these Chocolate Chunk Matcha Shortbread Cookies. And if you’re not on the matcha bandwagon, gohead gurl- hop on, you’ll be thanking me later. And if you’re quite acquainted with matcha, these cookies will rock your matcha lovin’ socks off!
These Chocolate Chunk Matcha Shortbread Cookies are moist, sweet, super quick to make, and dangerously easy to eat. SO, this recipe came to be as a result of a fun collaboration from my friend Rezel over at Rezel Kealoha! Guys, she is so super talented, I knew I wanted to make one of her recipes, so we decided to swap recipes and make one of eachothers’ with our own unique take on it. Well not only is she such an amazing photographer, her recipes are delicious too! This cookie recipe was an evolution from her Earl Grey Creme Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookie recipe! I would have made her whole original recipe, but I didn’t have any earl grey tea on hand and had a whole lotta matcha, so I decided to put my own spin on the recipe. Y.U.M.
If you’ve read my other posts, you know I’m not a stellar baker. In fact, when it comes to me in the kitchen, I am quite messy (my hubby just loves it, yes- that was sarcasm). I often view my recipes as an experiment, it’s so fun for me to pair flavors together and see what happens. Which is kinda weird because I am a pretty precise person with other areas of my life. So where I am going with this is- me + baking doesn’t always come out to what I have in my head and I was nervous to try Rezel’s shortbread cookie recipe (and botching it!). I am happy to report that not only did I not botch it, I think these may be my new favorite cookies. Like seriously. I am much better when I follow a recipe, so I am super thankful for Rezel’s amazing baking skills.
Because I know you’re already eating these super easy Chocolate Chunk Matcha Shortbread Cookies with your eyes, let’s get these beauties into your belly, shall we?!
- 1.5 cups gluten-free flour, (I used Bob's Redmill 1:1 baking flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp matcha powder, (plus more for dusting if desired)
- 1 flax egg, (1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 3 tbsp water)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chunks, (I used Enjoy Life)
- 1/2 tbsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 tbsp water
- In a small bowl mix the flax meal and water together to make a flax "egg". Let sit for 5 minutes to bind together
- In a food processor/blender place the flour, salt, baking powder and matcha and process until fully incorporated
- Add in the flax mixture, sugar, maple syrup, almond extract, vegan butter and water. Process until the dough starts to look moist and clump together. When you pinch the dough in between your fingers it should hold. If the dough is still crumbling add a tiny bit more water. Add in the chocolate chunks at this point and just pulse a few times to mix in the dough
- Take out some parchment paper and shape the dough into a log. Wrap the paper around the log and place in the freezer for 10 minutes
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a sheet pan with more parchment paper
- Take the dough out of the freezer and role the dough out to be about an inch thick
- Using a cookie/biscuit cutter, create dough rounds and then place on the parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake for 10 minutes and cool completely on the tray
- Dust with more matcha
** These Chocolate Chunk Matcha Shortbread Cookies were adapted from Rezel Kealoha's Earl Grey Creme Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies as a fun collaborative recipe swap!
** I used a 2.75" biscuit cutter and got 12 cookies