This Butternut Squash Spinach Pasta is such an easy recipe and is so flavorful you’ll be adding it to your weekly fall dinner menu. With simple ingredients, you will have this gluten-free, vegan pasta dish on your table in just 25 minutes!
As we head into the fall season, I can’t help but to get excited about all the yummy foods that represent the season and bring all the fall vibes. The first thing that comes to mind, of course, is pumpkin; we’re all crazy about that lovely little (or big!) squash. But the recipe I am sharing with you today features its not-so-distant cousin, butternut, haha. Butternut squash is becoming more and more popular, and for good reason; it’s delicious and nutritious.
So let’s dive into some of the health benefits of butternut squash. This squash has enough vitamin A in just one serving to cover your entire day! Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant that plays a role in maintaining healthy vision, neurological function, healthy skin, reduces inflammation through fighting free radical damage and supports immune function.
Consuming a diet high in antioxidants is a way to naturally slow aging. That statement right there did it for ya, huh?! *Rushes out to the store to buy alllll the butternut squash. So by now I’ve persuaded you to give it a try (if you haven’t had it), but how do you prepare it? What do you eat it with? Well, friends, I have the absolute perfect savory, comforting recipe for you today.
This Butternut Squash Spinach Pasta is so flavorful with common ingredients you may already have in your pantry. And it’s incredibly easy to make, which means less time in the kitchen, dontcha just love these kinda meals?! Roasting the butternut squash intensifies the sweetness, so you have a meal that is both savory and sweet, and made in under 30 minutes… BONUS! For extra ease and to save on time, I buy the butternut squash that is already diced from the grocery store, but if you can’t find pre-cubed butternut squash, it’s really easy to do on your own. Now this is what I call a winner winner (no)chicken dinner!
This Butternut Squash Spinach Pasta recipe is one of the most popular on my blog, so be sure to try it and if you do, comment below, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram or Facebook and use #healthylittlevittles so I can see all your lovely recreations!
Health information posted in this article was summarized from Dr. Axe: Butternut Squash Nutrition
- 3-4 cups butternut squash, cubed (may purchase pre-cut for ease)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces gluten-free pasta
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 oz fresh, organic spinach
- 1/2 cup vegetarian no-chicken broth/vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup + more for topping vegan parmesan cheese, *see notes
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- toasted pine nuts, for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange the cubed butternut squash pieces on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until the squash starts to turn golden, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the minced garlic, and salt over medium heat. Add the diced onion and saute until translucent.
- Next, add the broth, vegan parmesan cheese, and red pepper flakes. Simmer over low heat to combine the flavors.
- Drain the pasta, then add it to the skillet.
- Finally add the butternut squash and spinach to the skillet, cooking for a few more minutes until the spinach begins to wilt.
- Serve with more vegan parmesan cheese, toasted pine nuts and red pepper flakes if desired!
** VEGAN PARMESAN "CHEESE"
1 1/2 cup raw cashews
6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Blend all ingredients together until well combined and obtain a parmesan cheese consistency.
Vegan Parmesan Cheese recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker
Recipe originally published on the Healthy Little Vittles blog May 22, 2017 7:21 pm.