As we head into the fall season, I can’t help but to get excited about all the yummy foods that represent the season and bring all the fall vibes. The first thing that comes to mind, of course, is pumpkin; we’re all crazy about that lovely little (or big!) squash. But the recipe I am sharing with you today features its not-so-distant cousin, butternut, haha. Butternut squash is becoming more and more popular, and for good reason; it’s delicious and nutritious.
So let’s dive into some of the health benefits of butternut squash. This squash has enough vitamin A in just one serving to cover your entire day! Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant that plays a role in maintaining healthy vision, neurological function, healthy skin, reduces inflammation through fighting free radical damage and supports immune function (helping you to fight off that nasty cold maybe just a bit faster). Consuming a diet high in antioxidants is a way to naturally slow aging. That statement right there did it for ya, huh?! So by now I’ve persuaded you to give it a try (if you haven’t had it), but how do you prepare it? What do you eat it with? Well, friends, I have just the recipe for you today. This Butternut Squash + Spinach Pasta is so flavorful and incredibly easy to make. Roasting the butternut squash intensifies the sweetness, so you have a meal that is both savory and sweet (and made in under 30 minutes! BONUS!) For extra ease and to save on time, I buy the butternut squash that is already diced from the grocery store.
Now that’s what I call a winner winner (no)chicken dinner!
Oh no...This form doesn't exist. Head back to the manage forms page and select a different form.
- 1 package butternut squash (purchased pre-cut into cubes)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 lb gluten free pasta
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 5 oz fresh, organic spinach
- 1/2 cup vegetarian no-chicken broth/vegetable broth/chicken broth (if not vegan)
- 1/4 cup + more for topping vegan parmesan cheese, *see notes
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Arrange the pre-cut butternut squash pieces on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt pepper. Roast in the oven until the squash starts to turn golden (about 15-20 minutes)
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions
- In a large skillet, heat the 2 tbsp olive oil + garlic + salt over medium heat
- Add the diced onion + garlic and saute until translucent
- Add the broth + vegan parmesan cheese + red pepper flakes. Simmer over low heat to combine the flavors
- Drain the pasta, then add to the skillet
- Finally add the butternut squash + spinach to the skillet, cooking for a few more minutes until the spinach begins to wilt
- Serve with more vegan parmesan cheese + red pepper flakes if desired!
** VEGAN PARMESAN "CHEESE"
1 1/2 cup raw cashews
6 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Blend all ingredients together until well combined and obtain a parmesan cheese consistency.
Vegan Parmesan Cheese recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker
Health information posted in this article was summarized from Dr. Axe