A strawberry and raspberry filling stuffed between two layers of gluten-free crumble for the perfectly easy berry dessert. These Berry Crumb Bars are gluten-free, vegan, and naturally sweetened with coconut sugar!
Crumb bars. Can you believe this is the first time I’ve ever made crumb bars?! It’s true. I guess I’ve been living under a rock… and now I’m totally questioning every berry-filled dessert I’ve made. I’ve made berry pie, and galettes, Blackberry Curd Tarts, even a Roasted Plum + Blackberry + Hazelnut Baked Oatmeal, but never crumb bars. And then there’s that one time I tried to make peach crumb bars, and the crumble-to-filling ratio was wayyy off and it was so dry- basically I gave up on making my own crumb bar recipes after that.
Then my good friend Natalie over at Feasting on Fruit messaged me and said, hey… let’s make berry crumb bars! At first, my stomach dropped, but because Natalie is such a well-seasoned baker I decided to jump right in on this one. It’s like the crumb bar gods, through Natalie lol, were calling me to try again, and teach me the right way to make them. And let me tell you- these Berry Crumb Bars delivered in every way.
The crumble is the perfect blend of almond flour, coconut flour, coconut sugar, oats, cinnamon, ginger, almond butter, vanilla, and coconut oil. It’s light, and well… crumbly! The filling is this gorgeous hue of pink and only requires 5 ingredients: strawberries, raspberries, coconut sugar, arrowroot powder, lemon juice. They are moist, and sweet, and just perfect in every way… except they are pretty gooey and all you mess-haters might want to use a fork. Other than that, zero complaints about these Berry Crumb Bars.
The thing was, I think I was making crumb bars way more complicated than they really are. Sometimes things are just… simple. If you’ve spent some time here, you know I like simple… so not sure how I missed the memo, but Natalie helped me to discover a new love for simple desserts. And bonus points for picking strawberries and raspberries because ya’ll also know I love my colorful foods!
And I’m just going to forewarn you… these Berry Crumb Bars are highly addicting. And because they are so easy to make, I won’t be surprised if you decide to keep a stash in your fridge at all times this summer, maybe hidden all the way in the back so your kids can’t see them 😉
- 2 cups (240g) almond flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) coconut flour
- 2/3 cup (110g) coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup (40g) rolled oats (sliced almonds for paleo)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (125g) nut/seed butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 cups berries (a mixture of strawberries and raspberries)
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp arrowroot
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-large saucepan, add all of the filling ingredients and heat over medium heat until the berries start to reduce and your filling thickens. Be sure to stir frequently to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry crumble ingredients.
- Add the coconut oil, nut/seed butter, vanilla and lemon juice to a glass measuring cup and melt it in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds, stir to combine.
- Add the coconut oil mixture to the dry crumble ingredients and stir to combine.
- Press half of the crumble mixture into an 8x8 parchment-lined baking pan.
- Pour in the berry filling.
- Sprinkle the rest of the crumble on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool before slicing. Keep stored in your fridge.
** recipe done in partnership with Natalie over at Feasting on Fruit!