Have you heard all about the sweet potato toast craze?! It’s totally the new (old) thing and I am definitely on board. Not only because it’s delicious and plant based, but it also allows me to be creative, and never gets old because the topping combinations are endless! I’ve made them in the past, but have a few new tricks I’ve learned this time around that made them easier + tastier. Let’s take a closer look. Literally.
So this one I slathered some So Delicious coconut non-dairy yogurt on top, then added sliced pear + allspice + walnuts. I added the star anise just for show. If you’re not vegan, you could certainly drizzle some honey over top too!
It’s hard to decide, but this one may have been my favorite. I spread some almond butter on top, then added fresh blueberries and pomegranate seeds! That’s it!
This one was delicious too. See, I can’t really pick a favorite haha. I topped this slice with chocolate hazelnut spread + fresh banana slices + granola and freeze dried strawberries. Yum.
Last, but not least, this one was more of a savory combination. I topped the toast with avocado + fresh radish slices, then drizzled some olive oil and sprinkled some red pepper flakes + vegan parmesan cheese over top.
Ok, so now you’re mouth is watering, and you’re wondering what the tricks are so that you can go make these! Here’s what I learned:
- Use a mandoline slicer. This allows for easier (and safer) slicing and it also allows you to slice thinner and more equally. Last time I cut the sweet potatoes with a knife and they were much thicker slices and it was a lot more of a hassle.
- Bake your sweet potato slices before you toast them. I skipped this step last time I made them and I ended up having to toast the slices numerous time and they still came out a bit raw tasting. Much better this time.
- Slice up a couple or a few sweet potatoes at a time, bake, and then store the extra slices in your fridge once they are completely cool. This way you have an easy breakfast the rest of the week.
- Store the leftover slices in a glass container to avoid excess sweating.
Try it out! And as always, I’d love to see your versions of my recipes! Tag me in your sweet potato toasts on Instagram @HealthyLittleVittles or use the hashtag #vittlemethis
** tips and toasts adapted from The Real Food Dietitians
Sweet Potato Toasts- 4 Ways
- 2 sweet potatoes
- toppings of your choice!
- non-dairy yogurt
- 1 pear
- honey (if not vegan)
- almond butter
- pomegranate seeds
- chocolate hazelnut spread (Nativa)
- 1/2 banana (sliced)
- freeze dried or fresh strawberries
- 1/2 avocado
- red pepper flakes
- olive oil
- hemp seeds (optional)
- vegan parmesan cheese
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
Slice your sweet potatoes with the mandolin slicer to be about 1/4 inch thick
Place a wire baking rack on top of a large baking sheet and then place each slice on the wire rack
Bake for 20-25 minutes until they start to get soft but not too soft (because then it'll be harder to toast them)
Toast each slice, then top with desired toppings. Store the extra slices in a glass container in the fridge after they have cooled completely
** Adapted and inspired by The Real Food Dietitians