A deliciously creamy matcha, pistachio, chocolate chip ice cream that might end up being the best darn ice cream recipe you’ve ever had! Vegan and gluten-free!
Once upon a time, I loved ice cream. My favorite summer thing to do after dinner or after a softball game- is head on down to the local mom n’ pop ice cream shop and get a scoop or two (or three!) of my favorite flava of ice cream. Never did I ever think I would be able to enjoy amazing ice cream that is vegan. I mean, I would go all the way to say this Matcha Pistachio Chocolate Chip Ice Cream might be my most favorite ice cream I’ve ever had.
Making your own ice cream is so simple with the ice cream machines we have available. The ice cream “batter” is hand blended for 5 minutes, chilled in the fridge overnight and then popped it in the ice cream machine the next day for 15-20 minutes. That’s it! Now I know it kinda stinks that you have to wait overnight BUT good news is you don’t really! Just chill for a couple hours if you’re too anxious to get your ice cream party started.
Did I mention that there are only 9 ingredients in this Matcha Pistachio Chocolate Chip Ice Cream ice cream recipe? Let’s break it down…
So we have:
☆ dairy free half & half or creamer
☆ almond milk
☆ matcha powder
☆ dark chocolate chips
☆ almond extract
☆ arrowroot powder/starch
☆ pinch of salt
Oh no...This form doesn't exist. Head back to the manage forms page and select a different form.
That’s it! Now if you don’t have an ice cream machine, I would really suggest getting one. I didn’t think I would use mine that often but I’ve already used it twice this month! Making ice cream at home is so easy and I love knowing what exactly is going into my ice cream, gelato, or sorbet! Like for example- we went out last week to get ice cream as a fun summer thing to do. I normally just get a fruit sorbet, but this time when I took the diet bite I could tell they put milk in it. So I was just annoyed and threw it away. And I wouldn’t have known unless I asked (which I did confirm). Now why is there milk in fruit sorbet?!! Wouldn’t that just be fruit flavored ice cream?! I’m confused. Ugh. So needless to say- I’ll be sticking with my homemade ice cream and my favorite trusted brands of dairy-free frozen treats. ENJOY!
p.s. Are you curious about this matcha madness?! Why is everyone going crazy over this green superfood powder?! READ THE ARTICLE HERE!
- 2 cups dairy free half & half/creamer
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder/starch
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1/3 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- gluten free waffle cones
- **NOTE: Before we start, this recipe requires an ice cream machine. Be sure to have your ice cream machine barrel frozen before making this recipe
- In a large bowl, beat the half & half/creamer, almond milk, sugar, almond extract, matcha powder, salt and arrowroot together with a hand mixer on low until well combined. Stir in the pistachios and chocolate chips
- Pour our ice cream "batter" into a glass container and chill in the fridge overnight (or at least for 2 hours)
- The next day, stir your batter, set up your ice cream machine, and turn it on while you pour the ice cream batter into the machine. Let the machine churn your ice cream for about 20-30 minutes or until it reaches your desired texture.
- Store the ice cream in an airtight container in your freezer and allow it to thaw for about 15 minutes prior to scooping and serving