Breakfast. Ugh. When I was eating eggs and bacon and hash browns… you know, the breakfast staples, breakfast was my most favorite meal of the day! I would even make breakfast for dinner, that’s how much I loved it. But since going gluten-free and vegan, breakfast is something that I struggle with the most. I always wake up thinking, ‘ugh, what am I going to eat this morning?’. Now that being said, I have discovered a whole new way to breakfast, and I have discovered some of the most appetizing dishes to bring my breakkie game back up, including this sweet potato breakfast bowl!
At first, I was like, sweet potatoes for breakfast?! But duh, we eat white potatoes for breakfast, why can’t we sub the sweets (not to mention they are sweet! Uh, hello?!) Lucky for me, I had some leftover sweet potatoes in my fridge from Easter this past weekend which made this breakkie easy peasy. So there’s an idea for ya… make mashed sweet potatoes the night before for dinner and then use the leftovers for this delicious breakfast bowl in the morning! Guys, I didn’t even warm the sweets up before loading on the toppings and it was still delish! Read more to see what goodies I added in this sweet potato breakfast bowl!
Oh no...This form doesn't exist. Head back to the manage forms page and select a different form.
So I had just enough sweet potatoes leftover to make two smaller breakfast bowls and it was filling! I even shared with my little monkey (you see his hand stealing a blueberry below! His FAVORITE! hehe). Here’s what I topped my sweet potatoes with:
⤐ pumpkin seeds
⤐ hemp seeds/hearts
⤐ cashew butter (or peanut butter)
⤐ dried cranberries
⤐ maple syrup
I didn’t have any homemade granola on had this morning, but I would definitly recommend making my Homemade Granola Recipe for this bowl, so I just used store bought, but YUM! Homemade granola would be fantastic in these! This might be a new breakfast staple at my house because sweet potatoes are always in my pantry. I hope you love it! And I would really like to hear what toppings or modifications you make to this sweet potato breakfast bowl! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag @HealthyLittleVittles on Instagram! As always…
[WooZoneProducts asin=”B00I7V5HCU,B001GVIRD4,B012W4BPSC,B00K7J6ISM”][/WooZoneProducts][WooZoneProducts asin=”B005TY2TFG”][/WooZoneProducts]
- 2 sweet potatoes
- blueberries, (as many as you'd like!)
- strawberries, (as many as you'd like!)
- pumpkin seeds, (as many as you'd like!)
- hemp seeds/hemp hearts, (as many as you'd like!)
- dried cranberries, (as many as you'd like!)
- 1-2 tbsp cashew butter/peanut butter/other nut butter
- ~1/4 cup granola
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- If you're starting fresh in the morning and not using up leftover mashed sweets, pierce your sweet potatoes with a fork a few times all over, and microwave for about 4 minutes, flip over, and then microwave an additional 3-5 minutes until soft
- NOTE: If using leftovers, just spoon into a bowl and you can decide whether you want them cold or warm (I ate mine cold!) and then follow next steps
- Let them cool a bit, then peel the skins off. Mash them in a bowl with the maple syrup and cinnamon
- Spoon your sweets into a bowl, load on your toppings and enjoy!
** Make this easier and have mashed sweet potatoes for dinner the night before and save some for these breakfast bowls the next day! Now feel free to double or triple the recipe for dinner so you have enough for both meals
** NOTE: I don't provide specific measurements for some of the ingredients becaues there is not right or wrong amount to add. You choose and get creative! 🙂