A traditional sweet treat taken to a whole new superfood level! Rice Chex cereal gets stirred together with peanut butter and dark chocolate then dusted with superfood infused powdered sugar for an easy holiday (or anytime) snack dessert!
Tis the season for all things jingling, sparkly, and… powdered sugared. Whether you call this sweet treat puppy chow, muddy buddies, reindeer chow, or monkey munch, you’ll be calling this superfood version of the old favorite, yummy- regardless of its name.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Suncore Foods. The opinions and text are all mine. The product mentioned in this post was sent to me as a gift to use in this recipe, thank you so much Suncore Foods!
We are big snackers here at my house, especially with all the hustle and bustle that comes along with the holiday season. And although we try to keep the added sugars to a minimum, the perfect time to indulge is around the holidays. We give ourselves “permission” to enjoy sweet treats from time-to-time by choosing to indulge smarter. I feel much better knowing my goodies are boosted with nutritious superfoods, leaving out the artificial dyes. That’s where my friends over at Suncore Foods come in!
I wasn’t sure how this Superfood Puppy Chow recipe was going to turn out, you can’t really mess up puppy chow, but I wasn’t sure if the powdered sugar would take on the color of the Suncore Foods Supercolor Powders. You can imagine how delighted I was to see the gorgeous pastel hues.
If you haven’t made puppy chow, it’s very easy and cheap to make…and the recipe makes pretty large batches, so it’s perfect for the holidays or other parties. Puppy Chow can be nibbled on over a few days too, pretty much making it a go-to party staple.
In my version of this Superfood Puppy Chow, I decided to make it colorful, because y’all know I love my colorful foods! I’m also a huge advocate for dye-free baking (or non-baking in this case, wink). There’s a vast array of superfoods that act as natural, plant-based food dyes, all of which can be found at Suncore Foods, my favorite!
I selected very specific superfood powders for this recipe. Since I wasn’t going to be mixing the powders with liquid in this Superfood Puppy Chow recipe, I wanted to be sure they would mix in enough with the powdered sugar to take on the color without having to use a ton of it. The Suncore Foods Supercolor Powders that worked best in this Superfood Puppy Chow recipe are Purple Sweet Potato Supercolor Powder, Premium Midori Jade Matcha Supercolor Powder, Fuchsia Hibiscus Supercolor Powder, Aqua Spirulina Supercolor Powder, and Sunglow Goji Berry Supercolor Powder.
Now, I know you must be wondering, “does the puppy chow take on the flavor of the Supercolor Powders?”. The answer is yes- for some. The matcha puppy chow definitely tastes like matcha- and if you like matcha, you may want to make a whole batch of just that! The Sunglow Goji Berry also has a slight sweet goji flavor, but it’s fruity so it works. You might pick up a hint of the aqua spirulina, but I think the purple sweet potato and fuchsia hibiscus are pretty neutral tasting. Feel free to adjust the amount of Supercolor powder you use depending on how vibrant you’d like your puppy chow to be.
So get stirrin’ and shakin’ and be sure to tag me on Instagram or Facebook if you make this dye-free, Superfood Puppy Chow recipe! Also, check out my Superfood Rainbow Popcorn recipe for another fun way to add a pop of color to a traditional snack! Wishing you a super colorful holiday season!
- 1 (12-ounce) box Rice Chex cereal
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted vegan/plant butter
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons Suncore Foods Purple Sweet Potato Supercolor Powder
- 2 teaspoons Suncore Foods Fuchsia Hibiscus Supercolor Powder
- 1-2 teaspoons Suncore Foods Premium Midori Jade Matcha Supercolor Powder
- 1 teaspoon Suncore Foods Aqua Blue Spirulina Supercolor Powder
- 2 teaspoons Suncore Foods Sunglow Goji Berry Supercolor Powder
- Pour the rice chex cereal into a very large mixing bowl.
- In 5 seperate gallon-sized storage bags, add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and each of the supercolor powders.
- Place the dark chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter, and salt in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving in 15 second intervals, stirring in between each, until almost melted and smooth.
- Pour the chocolate peanut butter mixture over the cereal and toss, making sure to coat all the cereal as best as possible without crunching too much of it.
- Next, add 2 cups of chocolate coated chex to each gallon bag, and shake vigorously until the cereal is evenly coated. Repeat for all colors. * you may have a little extra cereal, in which case you can choose which color you'd like a little extra of, or even just use regular powdered sugar
- Pour all of the colored puppy chow onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and let it cool for about 10 minutes, then store in an airtight container or a clean zip-top bag if not serving immediately.
* recipe adapted from The Kitchn
** best if consumed within a couple of days, but will keep for about a week
CLICK BELOW TO PIN!