Gluten-free, vegan spinach and mushroom taquitos made in 30-minutes or less! Garnish with fresh avocado, cilanto, lime juice and serve with vegan nacho cheese sauce. Perfect for Taco Tuesday or your next potluck!
Well, we are headed into June next week, meanwhile, I’m over here still celebrating Cinco de Mayo… not that I need an excuse to make Mexican food because it’s just so darn delicious. I had this idea to make taquitos, which I’ve never done before, and now I am kicking myself en la cabeza for not making these Spinach + Mushroom Taquitos sooner. They are so easy and so yummy and make the perfect appetizer for your next cookout (or make a great dinner for two).
I took soft corn tortilla shells and stuffed them with a spinach + mushroom and vegan cheese mixture and then topped them with fresh avocado, cilantro, and lime juice. I served them with a vegan nacho cheese sauce that I got from my friend Tamsin over at Cupful of Kale and it was the perfect dip!
The first batch of these Spinach +Mushroom Taquitos I rolled didn’t come out the best because I overstuffed them with filling (any other taco overstuffer offenders out there?!), so don’t stuff them too full. The second tip I am going to give you is to use a toothpick to hold them closed while you fry them. I got the hang of it by the last batch, but if you need to keep using toothpicks, that’s alright! 🙂
Oh no...This form doesn't exist. Head back to the manage forms page and select a different form.
I used coconut oil to fry these, and fried them in batches of four (to make it easier to flip them). The vegan nacho cheese sauce literally takes 5 minutes and is also good with tortilla chips- double win! So basically, this recipe is da bomb. I hope you like them as much as my dad did (he’s still raving about them lol)!
- 8 oz baby portabella mushrooms
- 4 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella cheese, (I used Daiya)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, (for frying)
- white corn tortillas
- 1-2 avocados
- fresh cilantro, (for garnishing)
- 1 lime, (for garnishing)
- nacho cheese sauce, (below)
Nacho Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup cashews
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp paprika, (preferably smoked)
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp garlic
- salt + pepper
- Blend the cashews and almond milk in a high-speed blender, for about a minute. If you don't have one, soak the cashews in hot water for half an hour beforehand, then drain.
- Once smooth, add the remaining ingredients and blend again.
- Enjoy straight away or keep in the fridge in a sealed container. Keep in mind it will thicken when chilled, and may need thinning with some more almond milk
- In a large cast iron skillet, add the mushrooms and sautee over medium heat with a little coconut oil for a few minutes to soften them
- Add the spinach, cumin, salt, and mozzarella- stir to combine and let that sautee stirring occasionally until the spinach leaves are wilted
- Heat your corn tortillas in the microwave for about 20 seconds or until they are soft (this makes them easier to roll)
- Place your filling in a bowl, clean the skillet out and then heat it again with 1/2 cup coconut oil over medium heat
- Fill each tortilla with 1/2-1 tablespoon of filling off center and spread to the edges of the tortilla
- Tightly roll the tortilla around the filling and if desired, fasten with a toothpick to hold it closed
- Make 4 of these and then place them in the oil to fry 2-3 minutes. As these are frying, make your next 4. You will flip them over to the other side and fry for another couple minutes
- ** NOTE: watch closely so they don't burn!
- When you take them out of the skillet, place them on a paper towel lined plate
- Garnish your taquitos with fresh cilantro leave, avocado, and lime juice. Serve with the nacho cheese sauce
** Nacho Cheese Sauce by Tamsin over at Cupful of Kale