Well, we are headed into June next week, meanwhile, I’m over here still celebrating Cinco de Mayo… not that I need an excuse to make Mexican food because it’s just so darn delicious. I had this idea to make taquitos, which I’ve never done before, and now I am kicking myself en la cabeza for not making these Spinach + Mushroom Taquitos sooner. They are so easy and so yummy and make the perfect appetizer for your next cookout (or make a great dinner for two).
I took soft corn tortilla shells and stuffed them with a spinach + mushroom and vegan cheese mixture and then topped them with fresh avocado, cilantro, and lime juice. I served them with a vegan nacho cheese sauce that I got from my friend Tamsin over at Cupful of Kale and it was the perfect dip!
The first batch of these Spinach +Mushroom Taquitos I rolled didn’t come out the best because I overstuffed them with filling (any other taco overstuffer offenders out there?!), so don’t stuff them too full. The second tip I am going to give you is to use a toothpick to hold them closed while you fry them. I got the hang of it by the last batch, but if you need to keep using toothpicks, that’s alright! 🙂
Oh no...This form doesn't exist. Head back to the manage forms page and select a different form.
I used coconut oil to fry these, and fried them in batches of four (to make it easier to flip them). The vegan nacho cheese sauce literally takes 5 minutes and is also good with tortilla chips- double win! So basically, this recipe is da bomb. I hope you like them as much as my dad did (he’s still raving about them lol)!
- 8 oz baby portabella mushrooms
- 4 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella cheese, (I used Daiya)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, (for frying)
- white corn tortillas
- 1-2 avocados
- fresh cilantro, (for garnishing)
- 1 lime, (for garnishing)
- nacho cheese sauce, (below)
Nacho Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup cashews
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp paprika, (preferably smoked)
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp garlic
- salt + pepper
- Blend the cashews and almond milk in a high-speed blender, for about a minute. If you don't have one, soak the cashews in hot water for half an hour beforehand, then drain.
- Once smooth, add the remaining ingredients and blend again.
- Enjoy straight away or keep in the fridge in a sealed container. Keep in mind it will thicken when chilled, and may need thinning with some more almond milk
- In a large cast iron skillet, add the mushrooms and sautee over medium heat with a little coconut oil for a few minutes to soften them
- Add the spinach, cumin, salt, and mozzarella- stir to combine and let that sautee stirring occasionally until the spinach leaves are wilted
- Heat your corn tortillas in the microwave for about 20 seconds or until they are soft (this makes them easier to roll)
- Place your filling in a bowl, clean the skillet out and then heat it again with 1/2 cup coconut oil over medium heat
- Fill each tortilla with 1/2-1 tablespoon of filling off center and spread to the edges of the tortilla
- Tightly roll the tortilla around the filling and if desired, fasten with a toothpick to hold it closed
- Make 4 of these and then place them in the oil to fry 2-3 minutes. As these are frying, make your next 4. You will flip them over to the other side and fry for another couple minutes
- ** NOTE: watch closely so they don't burn!
- When you take them out of the skillet, place them on a paper towel lined plate
- Garnish your taquitos with fresh cilantro leave, avocado, and lime juice. Serve with the nacho cheese sauce
** Nacho Cheese Sauce by Tamsin over at Cupful of Kale