This No Chicken Noodle Stew will be your new favorite (no) chicken noodle soup in stew form! Sauteed veggies and noodles in a thick and creamy sauce for a delicious gluten-free, vegan comforting meal. Ready in just 30 minutes too!
Dear Fall, I am so totally into you right now. Summer did not sit too kindly with me- she was hot and humid and I just didn’t enjoy her much this year. I’ve so been looking forward to making my favorite warming comfort foods, like this (No) Chicken Noodle Stew for example!
It was a gloomy, rainy fall day and I was trying to decide on something easy and warm to make for dinner. My first thought was soup! It’s totally soup season, yay! So I go through all the ingredients I remembered I have in my fridge to use up- also yay to using up produce before it goes bad! Onions- check. Carrots-check. Celery-check. Noodles-check. Having settled on making “chicken” noodle soup for dinner, you can imagine my disappointment when I didn’t have nearly enough vegetable broth… noooooo!!!! Already with my heart set, I thought really hard about how I could make this work anyway. The answer… stew!
This recipe comes together so quickly- which is my kinda meal! I bet if you wanted to add everything into your slow cooker (minus the noodles) and let it simmer all day while you’re at work, that would be an option too. Then add the noodles in the last 20-30 minutes and boom. Ready! I haven’t tested this yet, so if you do, be sure to tag me on Instagram or Facebook to let me know how it works!
So you sautee your veggies with some garlic and olive oil, set aside. Then you make the roux, add the veggies back in, boil your noodles and add those to the pot. Stir and serve! That’s it! So let’s get to the recipe already, shall we?!
- 16 oz vegetable broth
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 medium onion
- 6 oz frozen peas + carrots
- 2 large stalks celery
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup vegan parmesan cheese, (I used Violife)
- 1.5 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 4 tbsp vegan butter, (I used Earth Balance)
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 12 oz gluten-free rotini pasta
- fresh parsley, (optional)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sautee your diced veggies in 2-3 tbsp olive oil, italian seasoning, minced garlic, salt, and pepper until they are soft and translucent
- Boil water for your pasta according to package directions
- Once your veggies are done cooking, set aside in a bowl
- Add your butter to the same skillet and melt. Once melted, whisk in your flour until all the butter is absorbed
- Increase the burner heat to medium-high, and whisk in the broth and almond milk. Bring to a slow boil, then reduce the heat to low
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast, vegan parmesan,and salt + pepper (to taste). Whisk and let the mixture simmer while your noodles cook
- Add your veggies to the sauce mixture and stir
- Strain your noodles, then add those to the skillet and toss with the sauce. Add more salt and pepper if needed
- Serve with fresh parsley (optional)