Oh matcha, where have you been all my life?! Since the first time I had matcha was a few months ago, I’m shocked that I haven’t tried it before then. I know that it has been very popular, especially lately, and now I understand why. Other than it having that beautiful green hue and it being versatile enough to mix into almost any food, it has amazing health benefits too! Let’s visit them briefly.
- Is packed with antioxidants
- Boosts metabolism and burns calories
- Detoxifies effectively and naturally
- Calms the mind and relaxes the body
- Is rich in fiber, chlorophyll and vitamins
- Enhances mood and aids in concentration
- Provides vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium
- Prevents disease
- Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar
You can read more about Matcha here
So prior to actually using this matcha powder I purchased, it just sat on my counter for a while, hopefully as a reminder to myself to use it, then I moved it to my spice drawer because I wasn’t feeling inspired, and now I am kicking myself in the bootay for not trying a recipe that includes this powerhouse powder sooner! I decided to just dive right in and try this idea I had for a shake recipe. I had envisioned a swirly twirly type drink; almost with a tie-dye effect, and I think matcha was the perfect candidate to make my vision come to life. This recipe is a great grab-n-go breakfast not only because it’s simple to make, but because of all those wonderful health benefits- I mean, talk about a great way to start your day…
So in this shake, I blended matcha powder + almond milk + a frozen banana + mango + avocado + a scoop of Vega vanilla plant protein powder. I then poured some lite coconut milk in the jars, and topped with the matcha shake mixture. The kiwi flowers were just for fun, but you could certainly add in some fruit chunks too! The coconut milk layered tie-dye look is optional, the shake itself tastes great, and you could even sub the almond milk for coconut milk, but if you wanna jazz it up and add some spunk, try making it as I did and have fun with it!
p.s. If you’re looking for a great plant based protein, Vega is by far my favorite! Shop below!
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk/lite coconut milk
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 scoop vanilla Vega protein powder, (or other vanilla protein powder)
- kiwi or other fruit
- Place all the ingredients in your blender (minus the kiwi or other fruit using to garnish) and blend until smooth
- You can simply enjoy it this way OR you can then pour coconut milk into desired glasses, then pour the matcha shake over top and mix with a straw to get that swirly tie-dye look
This post contains an affiliate link, which means I receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so I greatly appreciate your support.