Well hey there! Let me introduce you to the most epic brussels salad I’ve ever had. This delicious, hardy salad starts with shredded brussels sprouts, roasted cauliflower, and broiled grapefruit and is finished off with panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, toasted hazelnuts, and and easy homemade grapefruit vinegarette. I told you… epic. If you’re already a salad lover, this one is for you, and if you don’t- I bet this one sounds pretty interesting because it’s not your “typical” salad.
This salad is surprisingly filling, and when I first started making it I was thinking this isn’t going to be enough! But it is. And it’s best enjoyed right after you make it, so leftover salad wasn’t something I was going for with this Brussels + Roasted Cauliflower Grapefruit Salad.
Now I’m not normally a huge raw brussels sprouts fan, I really love them roasted, but the fact that they are shredded in this salad definitely makes them more palatable. I promise that even if you’re not a brussels lover, you’ll really like this salad. The grapefruit vinegarette is also light and refreshing and super easy to make. I love making my own dressings beacause 1- I know what all is in them, and 2- they just taste so much more fresh to me. I hope you add this into your salad rotation, and as always, I love to see your re-creations so be sure to tag me on Instagram or Facebook!
- 12 oz fresh brussels sprouts, ends trimmed
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 large grapefruits, (1 for salad, 1 for dressing)
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup gluten-free panko breadcrumbs, (I used Ian's brand)
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese , (I used Violife)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 1 large grapefruit, juiced
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil, (or olive oil)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, (1 medium lemon, juiced)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- pinch salt + pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Chop your cauliflower into small-medium pieces, transfer to a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes
- While your cauliflower is roasting, "shred" your brussels sprouts by cutting your brussels into small strips. Place into a large bowl
- Slice one of your grapefruits into slices horizonally. Set aside
- When your cauliflower is done roasting, place into the bowl with the brussels sprouts. Turn your oven to broil
- Next, add your grapefruit slices to the same baking sheet and broil for about 3-5 minutes, watching closely to make sure it doesn't burn. Remove from oven and set aside
- Heat a small skillet to medium, add your chopped hazelnuts and toast until they become fragrant (about 5 minutes) tossing often to prevent them from buring. Add to the bowl with brussels and cauliflower
- Make your dressing by blending all dressing ingredients together in your blender until well combined.
- *note: I strained my grapefruit juice to remove any excess pulp
- Add the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, and dressing to the bowl, toss
- Trim the grapefruit rind from the flesh and either cut the flesh into smaller pieces and toss into the salad or serve individual pieces on each salad plate
- Garnish with more parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, if desired