These Browned Butter Bourbon Skillet Sweet Potatoes feature sliced sweet potatoes that get drizzled with a bourbon-infused browned butter and roasted in the oven for the perfect crispy side dish for any occasion!
Thanksgiving, can you believe it’s right around the corner? 2020 sure has been a doozy of a year, so perhaps we aren’t all holidaying as we usually do, however, these Browned Browned Butter Bourbon Skillet Sweet Potatoes not only make a great Thanksgiving Dinner side dish to change up the traditional sweet potato casserole, but they can also be a delicious side for any occasion, really.
I’m always looking for side dishes, and in fact, I don’t have many on the Healthy Little Vittles blog, so I thought this would be a perfect recipe to add to my recipe index. They’re easy, they’re scrumptious, and they incorporate my new favorite ingredient, bourbon! Now, guys… I’m not a fan of drinking bourbon on its own. Dang, that stuff burns all the way down, lol, but when you incorporate it into your recipes, both savory and sweet, it offers the richest delicious flavor!
I also adore sweet potatoes. I think they might be my favorite food. I happened to find purple sweet potatoes at the store and just swoon over them, because hello! They’re purple! Haha, but if you can’t find them, feel free to just use regular sweets.
Now the key to getting these sweets to obtain that crispy outer layer is to slice them thin. Using a mandolin slicer definitely helps, but isn’t a requirement to make this recipe, just make sure your knife is sharp. You also want to make sure that you don’t pile in too many slices, you want to arrange the slices so that there’s space in between each slice so the bourbon browned butter sneaks in every nook and cranny.
If your a sweet potato fan like me, but trying to mix it up a bit this year, I hope you try these Browned Browned Butter Bourbon Skillet Sweet Potatoes! I would love to hear your thoughts on this dish so please leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram! @HealthyLittleVittles #HealthyLittleVittles
- 2-3 very large sweet potatoes (you can use purple and orange sweet potatoes or just orange)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) plant/vegan butter
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs, plus more for garnishing if desired
- pinch salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, and then cut the potatoes in half. Preferably using a mandoline slicer, slice your sweet potatoes into 1/4-1/2 inch thick slices, then set aside.
- In your large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
**NOTE: if you have a light-colored skillet that is better to use so you can tell when your butter is browned. Otherwise, I would say this takes about 5 minutes.
- Once the butter is melted, add the thyme sprigs and allow the butter to brown, whisking occasionally.
- Slowly add the bourbon to the skillet and whisk. Allow the bourbon to infuse into the butter for just about a minute or two.
**NOTE: once the butter starts to turn brown, keep an eye on it as it will burn quickly.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour the bourbon browned butter into a measuring cup.
- To the same skillet, layer the sweet potatoes in an alternating pattern, starting around the outside of the pan moving toward the center.
- Whisk the butter in the measuring cup, then pour it over the potatoes evenly.
- Roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes before serving.
**NOTE: certain vegan butters bubble up and foam, this will go down as you let them cool.
** Recipe adapted from Jamie's 5-INGREDIENT CRISPY SLICED ROASTED POTATOES over at a Sassy Spoon
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.