Ohhhhh YUMMMM!!!! Who doesn’t want cupcakes for breakfast?! Ok, ok, these aren’t really cupcakes, but it’s Saturday and we can let our hair down and have a bit of fun, right?! These “cupcakes” are a great grab-n’-go breakfast and just happen to be caked with healthy goodness… I don’t know about you, but a cupcake that is healthy sounds like heaven to me! (and these are oh so heavenly!) Did I mention the peanut butter “frosting”?! So by now you must be drooling… here’s my recipe!
- 2 bananas
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
PEANUT BUTTER "FROSTING"
- 1 cup peanut butter, ** see notes
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Blend all cupcake ingredients except for the oats in your blender or food processor until smooth
- * NOTE: some chunks of banana are ok! And yummy!
- In a medium bowl, add the batter and the oats and stir to combine
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Spoon the batter into your muffin cup lined muffin tin, to the top
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the "cupcakes" comes out clean
- While those are baking:
- Blend the peanut butter frosting ingredients together (I use my bullet) and then place in the fridge to thicken up a bit
- *NOTE: if your "frosting" is too thin, you can add melted coconut oil (about 1-2 tbsp), re-blend and then re-chill
- When the cupcakes are done, remove and let them cool a bit before frosting unless you like melty frosting, then go for it!
** A runnier, more natural peanut butter doesn't work quite as well, so I suggest Earth Balance or Smart Balance Peanut butter