Breakfast is actually the meal that I struggle with the most. When you think about traditional breakfast dishes- eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, french toast, waffles, biscuits and gravy… (I know, you’re drooling now) But I mean- do you see the trend there? Don’t get me wrong… breakfast used to be my favorite meal when I ate all of those things, and yes- I do miss it, especially when I think about it, but I know it’s for my own good to omit those items from my diet. Now I have the opportunity to reinvent some of breakfast’s celebrities and guys, there are some really good options! In fact, I find myself branching out a little bit and trying things that maybe I haven’t tried before- like chia pudding, nice cream, smoothie bowls, and my personal favorite- avocado toast! Well this one ranks right up there too! It’s easy + healthy + delicious + vibrant.
I used So Delicious dairy free raspberry yogurt, and yes, it is so delicious! They have a variety of flavors, so you could mix it up the next time you make this. They also have other vegan products, I really love their french vanilla coffee creamer. Mmm. Coffee. Ok, back to the yogurt… This yogurt is
- Organic ingredients are used whenever possible
- Certified vegan and Non-GMO Project Verified
- No artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners
- Free from hydrogenated oils and trans-fats
- Always cholesterol free
- And tasty as can be
So step one- yogurt, that’s taken care of. Next, we have the granola. So this was an unintended recipe actually. I was planning on making this yummy parfait for breakfast this morning and realized that we didn’t have any granola left. Humph. Someone must have eaten it all and didn’t tell me we were out #hubbyproblems 😉 So at 8:30 pm last night I decided to try to make my own and let it bake while I indulged in some Netflix (anyone else really into The Flash?!). Surprisingly it came together in a flash! (see what I did there?! bahaha)
Oh and by the way… I think every girl needs a pink baking sheet. I about flipped out when I found this at Marshalls.
The fun thing about making your own granola is that you can literally put whatever you want into it. In my version, I used oats + raw pumpkin seeds + almonds + cinnamon + vanilla + maple syrup. Basically, that’s what I had on hand, but I also wanted to keep it simple. The almonds were a last minute decision, and actually might be my favorite part! They roasted up so crunchy.
Then finally, to put my parfait together, I topped my yogurt and granola with fresh berries and shredded coconut. If you want, you can drizzle some maple syrup over top. Luckily I have more of everything I used in this parfait for another breakfast this week! It also makes a great grab-n-go snack- so no excuses to skip breakfast people!
- 1 cup yogurt, (I used So Delicious Dairy Free Raspberry Coconut Milk Yogurt)
- homemade granola, (recipe below)
- unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- 1 tsp maple syrup, (optional)
- 3 cups oats
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil, (may use coconut oil instead)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients. Stir to combine well
- Pour out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 20 minutes.
- **NOTE: Toss it a couple times and keep an eye on it, it may burn easily
Yogurt Berry Parfait
- Place your yogurt into a cup, bowl or plate (whatever you prefer) and top with granola + berries + coconut and maple syrup if using.
** I don't give specific measurements for the toppings because that's the fun of it! Add as much or as little as you'd like 🙂
** Make your granola the night before so it has time to cool and crisp up overnight