After trying Minimalist Baker’s Turmeric Tonic this week, I was inspired to create a tonic of my own. Theirs was good, but I’m not a huge fan of ginger, or rather ginger isn’t a huge fan of me. Which is unfortunate because of all the health benefits of ginger. So I set out to create something similar, but with more of a mild flavor that still had amazing health benefits and would warm my soul as we finally get some relief from these hot autumn days. There’s something I didn’t think I’d ever say… I wanted to keep the fall vibes going, and one of those things that reminds me of fall is cinnamon. So I decided to try a tonic with turmeric + lemon + cinnamon. Coincidentally (or not so coincidentally) the ingredients spell out T+L+C hence the name of this yummy liquid gold… you know, the other liquid gold. Ya, I gave myself a pat on the back for coming up with the name TLC Tonic, a lil’ TLC for me I guess, but now you can have it too! So go give yourself some Sunday TLC, friend. You deserve it!
You might be wondering about why this tonic is definitely deserving of its name, other than its ability to warm your soul. Well first, let’s take a peek at turmeric.
Turmeric has been shown to:
- reduce + control inflammation
- have antioxidant properties to help treat certain skin conditions
- have pain reducing characteristics, and paired with its anti-inflammatory characteristics can be beneficial in arthritis management
- help treat cancer natually
- reverse issues caused by diabetes, such as insulin resistance and hyperglycemia
- help to promote weight loss naturally
- help conditions such as IBS, ulcerative colitis, and other GI diseases
Wow! All that (and more) packed into that fine gold powder.
Read more about turmeric benefits here
Next, let’s look at some of the health benefits of cinnamon. Mmm cinnamon. This popular spice/herb has been used around the world for thousands of years. Cinnamon is always a front runner when it comes to taste, but did you know it’s also a front runner for its antioxidant properties?! That’s right… those cinnamon rolls aren’t that bad for you after all…
- is an anti-inflammatory
- reduces risk factors of heart disease (high blood pressure + cholesterol + high triglycerides)
- fights diabetes
- fights against cognitive decline + protects brain function
- may help lower cancer risk
- fights ear infections and viruses
- protects dental health and freshens breath naturally
- can help prevent/cure candida (a yeast overgrowth in your digestive tract)
- aids in skin health
- helps fight allergies
This tonic is lookin’ pretty good, eh?! (see why I called it the other liquid gold?!)
Read more about benefits of cinnamon here
And lastly, lets go over some of the benefits of lemon:
- aids in digestion
- detoxification properties
- high in vitamin c
- rejuvenates skin
- helps the body fight free radicals
- helps shed pounds
- boosts energy + mood
There are many more interesting + beneficial facts about lemons here
I think this tonic is going to be on repeat at my house this fall + winter… maybe I’ll even kick coffee to the curb and start my day off the TLC way…
4-Ingredient TLC Tonic
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
In a small sauce pan, whisk together all ingredients and heat over medium-high heat until just about boiling. Stir/whisk frequently.
Pour into mugs + enjoy!
** NOTE: the spices will settle on the bottom of the pan/glass so feel free to strain the mixture before you pour into your mugs
** Inspired by Minimalist Baker
Read more on the benefits of lemon water here!